Skipping the preamble of an intro today and just getting straight to the crux of the matter.
Having a hard time writing titles for your articles? Here are some quick tips –
- Especially if you regularly tend to struggle with writing titles – don’t try writing your title before you write your post. Wait until you’re done at least your first draft and then go back up to fill in your title to see if working on the post itself helps with inspiration.
- Take a poignant line from the body of your text and use that as your title.
- Think about how you could possibly summarize your article into under 10 words or into a very short sentence. Then try using that description as your title.
- Answering a question in your post? Try using the question itself as the title.
- Google the topic of your post for title inspiration, and do a spin off/combination of the favourite titles that you’ve read.
- Google to find some title formulas (there are many articles like this on the net) and see if any one of those strikes you as perfect for your particular article.
- If you’re really stuck, have a friend read the post (or brief them on its topic) and ask them what they think it should be titled.
Any more suggestions? Tweet them to me @elisexav so I can add them to this list (with credit of course!).